Monday, September 17, 2012

Vocabulary #6

beatitude- Supreme blessedness
  • The beatitude of religion is so strong in society today.
bete noire- a detested person (disliked or avoided)
  • The morbid man in the sketchy trench coat was bete noire.
bode- Be an omen of a particular outcome
  •  The bode of having killed a man haunted him until suicide.
dank- Disagreeably damp, musty, and typically cold
  • The subways of New York are dank places for homeless people to sleep.

ecumenical- Promoting or relating to unity among the world's Christian churches
  • A lot of Christians are ecumenical of their religion and try to get everyone to convert.
fervid- Intensely enthusiastic or passionate
  • Some of the most brilliant pianists in history were not so fervid of the art.
fetid- Smelling extremely unpleasant
  • My friend bought a bottle of spray that was intentionally fetid just to joke around.
gargantuan- of great mass
  • The gargantuan man was much larger than the anorexic man.
heyday- The period of a person's or thing's greatest success or popularity
  • Just as Rockefeller started the Standard Oil business, he met his heyday.
incubus- A cause of distress or anxiety like a nightmare
  •  The fourteen essays and three exams all in the following day was incubus.
infrastructure- The basic physical and organizational structures and facilities needed for the operation
  •  The infrastructure of the United States is the Constitution.
inveigle- Persuade (someone) to do something by means of deception or flattery
  •  I sometimes inveigle my mother into letting me go to a party on a busy weekday.
kudos- Praise and honor received for an achievement
  •  I gave my kudos to my friend who discovered a way to make humans fly.
lagniappe- Something given as a bonus or extra gift
  • As a lagniappe, I gave my younger brother $5 for doing my homework.
prolix- Using or containing too many words; tediously lengthy
  •  People begin to lose interest if your book is prolix.
protege- a person who receives support and protection from an influential patron who furthers the protege's career
  • I was a protege of my father's skills in Martial Arts.
prototype- A first or preliminary model of something, esp. a machine, from which other forms are developed or copied
  • I broke the rare prototype to the newly created iPad.
sycophant- A person who acts obsequiously toward someone in order to gain advantage; a servile flatterer
  • Sometimes I have to be sycophantic to get my mother to say yes.
tautology- The saying of the same thing twice in different words
  •  In hip-hop, a lot of rappers use tautology without us even realizing it.
truckle- Submit or behave obsequiously
  •  The student truckle to the the A in the class while others worked hard for their grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment