Monday, September 24, 2012

Literature Analysis #1 As I Lay Dying

1. Basically the whole story is about a person, Addie. She falls really ill and eventually dies, but before she dies, she asks that she be buried in a town called Jefferson. In order to fulfill her death wish, her husband Anse and her children Jewel, Darl, Cash, Dewey, and Vardaman venture to bury her.

2. The theme of this novel is questionable existence and identity. For example, Darl, after his mother dies, questions whether she still exists since she is now a "was" not an "is".

3. The way Faulkner writes makes it so that there are multiple tones because of all the narrators. The most noticeable tones are tragic, comical, and detached.
  •  "He kilt her. He kilt her." The life in him runs under the skin, under my hand, running through the splotches, smelling up into my nose where the sickness is beginning to cry, vomiting the crying, and then I can breathe, vomiting it."
  •  "My mother is a fish"
  •  "Jewel and I come up from the field, following the path in single file. Although I am fifteen feet ahead of him, anyone watching us from the cottonhouse can see Jewel's frayed and broken straw hat a full head above my own."
 4. Literary Devices
  •  Imagery
    •  "It was Darl. He come to the door and stood there, looking at his dying mother. He just looked at her."
    • "Vardaman comes around the house, blody as a hog to his knees, and that ere fish chopped up with the axe like as not,..."
    • "The boards looked like strips of sulphur."
    • I tried to find another one that I really had in mind, but I forgot where it was. It described how they drilled two holes in the coffin straight through the wood and the corpse inside.
  • Symbolism
    • Vardaman's fish relates to Christianity. He catches the fish and cleans it and he relates this to his mother. "My mother is a fish"
    •  Eyes seem to be a prominent role in the novel because a lot of describing of characters are done through it. "Jewel's pale eyes"
    • New Hope Church. This one is really literal because of the obvious Christian connection in the novel but when they see the sign that says "New Hope Church" it is around the same time when they gain hope.
  • Allusions
    • Reference to Christianity. "Nobody can't guard against the hand of God"
    • The title As I Lay Dying is from on of Faulkner's favorite epics. The Odyssey. 
  • Onomatopoeia
    • "Cluck Cluck Cluck"
    • "Hush"
    • "Sho"
  • Profane/Strong Language- adds to the tone of the novel, how tragic or angry a charcter is
    • "God damn it"
    • "Bitch"
    • "Hell"


18 comments:

  1. So I wrote a comment earlier but i don't think it went through but what I basically said was to add on to some of your points because they seem a little weak. Other than that this lit anal is pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well this is the shortest literary analysis Ive had to read all night! You completed all of the questions well, however to me it seemed it was lacking substance, every idea was condensed down into short hand expressions. I would have liked to see more detail and textual evidence. Like with the plot summary what happens on their journey to bury her body? what problems do they face? how do they deal with the problems?

    By the way I like your music! Teach me how to do that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. music is easy haha but I can't really teach it over phone or anything. its kinda hard the way I did it. there are easier ways that you can google.

      Delete
  3. Umm....good job? lol you answered the prompts though, book sound...intriguing. He never did say they had to be long right? Maybe i should take a cue or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah he never specified a length. he did say brief and succinctly. sooo i made my short. (Succinctly- using as few words as possible)

      Delete
    2. Hayden! Read my literature analysis and I'll read yours, yeah?

      Delete
    3. Ubi you do make a good point about the brief part but I think a bit more explaining or length would be a good idea. I just felt like it was missing something. Haleigh is right about the music though. Its pretty awesome!!!

      Delete
  4. Just the line "My mother is a fish" makes me curious to read this!

    You were very direct and to the point, though as stated in previous comments more details could be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book? well good luck. Faulkner is quite the author.

      Delete
  5. I believe that the summary of the book was too short to be effective. I mean it greats straight to the point, but a little more would of been nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I really want to read the book now >< I think that was a plus side of your analysis. I also think your literary devices were very clear and great points. However I think you could have elaborated more on the other points. The answers do reply to the prompt but there is a lot of gaps that could be filled in. But for how short it is I think you did good. (: Nice job

    ReplyDelete
  7. Could've been longer, but given the time constraints was probably the best you could come up with. Was short, a little to succinct for my tastes, by that's, like, my opinion, man. Perhaps a longer summary so we can understand the theme better?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the length because you got straight to the point and showed your knowledge of the book and thats really all this literary analysis needed. I guess a little more specific and detailed would help get your point across. Overall good job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like some others, I would have liked to see more length; not just for the sake of more writing, but it seems like the book has a lot of depth that wasn't quite covered. That said, you still said enough to make me intrigued. The summary reads a lot like a teaser, and it makes me curious to know more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmmm, welll the length is quite interesting but you are right, there is no length requirements....You could analyze why your quotes represent literary elemnts instead of just listing them out

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with Feli, analyze the quotations so that we know you understand them and so that we can better understand them. It sounds like a good book and other than that you did a good job.

    ReplyDelete